High versus moderate energy use of bipolar fractional radiofrequency in the treatment of acne scars: a split-face double-blinded randomized control trial pilot study
PubMed Reference:Phothong W, et al. Lasers Med Sci. 2016 Feb.
- 30 subjects (17 males, 13 females) with mild to moderate atrophic acne scars
- Left and right facial sides were randomly assigned for different energy (moderate energy of 60 mJ/pin or high energy of 100 mJ/pin)
- 4 bipolar fractional RF treatments at 1-month intervals
- Assessment of global acne scarring score (GASS) for each facial side (dermatologist blinded to treatment energy).
- Mean GASS of high energy side and moderate energy side was significantly reduced at 1-, 3-, and 6-month follow-up visits (p<0.001).
- Similar rate of PIH on both sides with most cases mild to moderate in intensity and spontaneously resolved within 4 weeks.