Reference: Samuels JB, Garcia MA. Aesthet Surg J. 13 April 2018. DOI: 10.1093/asj/sjy087.
- Study Population: 40 postmenopausal women (mean age 56±8 years) completed treatments & follow-ups.
- Study Treatment: 3 CO2RE laser treatments, with Intima handpieces and Deep Mode, to the vulva and vaginal canal.
- VHI Results: Significant improvement of 9.6 and 9.5 points on the vaginal health index (VHI) at 6 and 12 months after the treatment series.
- Subject Assessments: Dryness, itching and dyspareunia improved significantly (p<0.05) at all evaluations. 83% of subjects reported improvement on the Female Sexual Functional Index at 12 months.
- Histology Findings: Increased collagen and elastin staining, as well as a thicker epithelium and better degree of surface maturation (see Figure).
- Safety Findings: Mean pain score on the 0 (no pain) to 10-scale was <2. Minimal treatment complications limited to itching and discomfort in 7 subjects following the 1st treatment only.